The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists for the 2024/2025 academic year is currently open for applications. Each year, the Government of Switzerland awards hundreds of scholarships to eligible foreign scholars and artists in a bid to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries.
Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS). The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Swiss Government
Host Institution(s): All Swiss Public Universities
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded (covers full cost of study and related expenses)
Number of Awards: Several (Not Stated)
Study Level: Masters & PhD degree
Nationality: International students
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2024-2025 | DETAILS
The following types of scholarships will be awarded to either for foreign scholars and artists respectively;
- The research scholarship (research fellowship, PhD, Postdoc) is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology, as well as the four research institutes. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree. Ideally;
- The applicant must be an international student (a foreign scholar or artist)
- The applicant must be admitted into a Masters or PhD program.
- For Masters program, the applicant must hold (or are about to obtain) a undergraduate degree (or international equivalent) from a reputable institution;
- For PhD program, the applicant must hold a master’s-level qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent);
- The applicant must have a track record of engaging with research. This may include contributions to publications/articles, promoting their research to a wider audience, prizes for research or project work.
The Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
- The scholarship covers full funding for the course of study
- All university tuition fees at the international rate; health insurance, air fare, housing allowance etc.
See Also: Top Switzerland Scholarships 2023-2024 to Study Without IELTS
How-to-Apply: All interested and eligible applicants seeking for the Swiss Government Scholarships are expected to apply and be given an unconditional offer of admission to study full-time in a Masters or PhD in any Swiss public university, thereafter can proceed to apply for the scholarship. Please follow the steps outlined [here].
Application Deadline: Varies
Visit the Official Website for Further Details