The University of Cape Town in collaboration with The Mastercard Foundation in its Global Scholars’ Program invites applications for award of a limited number of Scholarships for full-time study for a postgraduate Masters degree in any discipline.
The Program will provide scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Mastercard Foundation & University of Cape Town
Host Institution(s): University of Cape Town, South Africa
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Masters
Nationality: Domestic & International Students
Mastercard Foundation Scholarships for Postgraduate | DETAILS
The scholarships will be granted on the basis of academic talent, financial need and leadership potential to students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time postgraduate study, and who will register in 2024 at the University of Cape Town.
No applications will be considered from applicants who have previously registered and graduated with a Masters qualification. A strong expectation of the Program is that successful applicants who are awarded the Scholarship return to their home countries to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
To be eligible for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships for Postgraduate study, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a postgraduate Masters study programme and preparing to commence with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Masters postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for Masters postgraduate degree at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at UCT are eligible to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards.
- The comments on the academic abilities of the applicant by the academic referees will form part of the academic criteria for this scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be required to produce the original academic transcripts on arrival and registration at UCT.
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is not the primary language.
Successful applicants for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships for Postgraduate study, will receive the following benefits:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are: (i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or (ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town.
You May Also Like: King’s College London Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships 2023 (Fully-funded)
How-to-Apply: In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement to UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.
The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the POSTGRADUATE scholarship application form on the online application portal:
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two (2) A4 pages using the following points as context: ⎯ Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities ⎯ Skills and Interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Certified copies of all current and previous Tertiary education transcripts
- Two (2) different Academic Referee Reports
- Applicants are required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts and academic referee reports where English is not the primary language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the official institutional letterhead with original signature, stamp and date in support of the applicant
- Applicants are required to submit an essay, of no more than 2000 words which provides a brief explanation of the applicants background / circumstances and additional information using the following points as context: (i) In which ways do you envisage contributing to the economic growth and social development of your country and Africa on completion of your studies, using your education as leverage? (ii) Explain any community service activities you have been involved in. (iii) List the qualities that, for you, define leadership and elaborate on leadership initiatives that you have undertaken.
Application Deadline: Not Specified
Visit the Official Website for Further Details