How to Land One of the Best Paying Jobs in Technology in 2023
If you’re looking for a rewarding and lucrative career in the tech industry, you’re in luck. Technology is one of the most exciting and dynamic fields today, with endless opportunities for innovation and growth. Despite the pandemic and the economic downturn, the tech industry has continued to create new jobs and demand for skilled professionals with various backgrounds and expertise. But what are the best paying jobs in technology in 2023?
Overview of Working in an IT Sector
IT job opportunities are expected to grow 14% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the national average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labour Statistics. The increased use of mobile devices drives this growth, the widespread adoption of cloud computing, and the need for data security.
IT jobs vary in terms of skill and experience required. Web developers, network administrators, software engineers, computer systems analysts, information security analysts, and database administrators are among the most popular IT jobs.
The average salary for all American occupations is lower than for the IT industry. PayScale reports that the median wage for IT professionals in the United States is $76,715. On average, software engineers, network administrators, and web developers make $70,000 to $90,000 per year. And the top 10% of earners in the industry bring in more than $120,000 a year.
The Top 20 Best Paying Jobs in Technology in 2023
Here is a table of the 20 best paying jobs in technology and their salaries according to different sources.
Job TitleAverage Salary
|IT management (CEO, CIO, CTO, VP, Director)
|Principal software engineer
|Back-end software engineer
Skills Required for a Role in Technology
Technology skills are the abilities and knowledge needed to interact with computer-based technologies and perform technical tasks. Depending on the role and industry, different technology skills may be required. Some of the most common and essential technology skills to have are:
- Word processing: The ability to use software programs to create, edit and share text documents.
- Emailing: The ability to compose, send and manage messages using various email platforms and tools.
- Video conferencing: The ability to schedule and conduct video calls with other people using online applications and devices.
- Spreadsheets: The ability to use software programs to organize, analyze and present data in tabular form.
- Presentation software: The ability to use software programs to create, edit and deliver slideshows or other visual aids for communication purposes.
- Database management: The ability to use software programs to store, retrieve and manipulate data in a structured way.
- Website development: The ability to use coding languages and tools to create, design and maintain websites or web applications.
- Digital marketing: The ability to use online platforms and strategies to promote a brand, product, or service to potential customers.
- Project management: Using software programs to plan, execute and monitor projects involving multiple tasks, resources, and stakeholders.
- Cybersecurity: Using software programs and techniques to protect data, networks, and systems from unauthorized access or attacks.
Highest-paying IT Companies
While looking for the best paying jobs in technology, you need to consider that the highest-paying IT companies in the world may vary depending on the source, location, and role. However, according to one analysis1, some of the top highest paying IT companies in the world are:
Linkedin: Linkedin is a Company that provides business and employment-oriented online services through websites and mobile apps. It pays an average salary of $159,000 per year.
Facebook: An American-based multinational Company that provides social networking and online media services. It pays an average salary of $152,000 per year.
Twitter: It provides microblogging and social networking services. It pays an average salary of $150,000 per year.
Google: An American-based multinational Company that provides internet-related products and services, such as search engines, cloud computing, online advertising, and software. It pays an average salary of $141,000 per year.
Microsoft: An American-based multinational Company that develops, manufactures, and sells computer software, hardware, and consumer electronics. It pays an average salary of $140,000 per year.
Tags.NET developer architect Back-end engineer Business Cloud architect Cybersecurity engineer Data engineer Data Scientist DevOps engineer Full-stack developer IT management Management Consultant MIS manager Product manager Program analyst Software developer Solutions architect Systems architect Systems engineer